Broccoli Cashew Crunch Salad
- 20 minutes
- 11 ingredients
- Update Ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California® cashew halves
- 12 ounces (about 6 cups) broccoli florets
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise, plain Greek yogurt or combination
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
1. To toast cashews, preheat oven to 350F°. Spread cashews on a baking sheet or in a shallow pan. Bake stirring once or twice until lightly browned and fragrant, 7-10 minutes. Cool.
2. Cut broccoli florets into small bite-size pieces, about 3/4-inches.
3. In large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add broccoli, carrot, red onion, currants or raisins, and bacon if using. Mix gently until ingredients are evenly coated. Stir in cashews just before serving.
For Curried Broccoli Cashew Crunch Salad: Stir 1 teaspoon curry powder into dressing.
For Candied Cashews: Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring about 3 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat. Add 2 cups cashews and let stand 30 seconds; drain well in a colander. Combine 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Add wet cashews and toss to evenly coat. Spread cashews on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, stirring twice, about 15 minutes. Cool completely. (Can be made ahead and stored air-tight.)
For a healthier option, use reduced fat or non-fat mayonnaise or Greek yogurt. Omit bacon.