Banana Walnut Bread Pudding
- 15 minutes
- 12 ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 1 medium loaf challah bread (preferably stale), cut or torn into 1-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 cup Diamond shelled walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 7 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- vanilla ice cream, for servings
For the bread pudding: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Add cubed bread to baking dish.
Place the walnuts into a dry skillet over medium-low heat; cook and stir until the walnuts are golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, egg yolks, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla. Once combined, stir in the mashed bananas and ¾ cup of the walnuts.
Pour the custard over the bread cubes. Carefully toss to coat, making sure that the cubed bread are submerged in the custard, and let stand to allow the bread to soak up the custard, 10 to 1 minutes. Top with remaining walnuts.
Bake until the center has set, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.