Walnut Veggie Tacos
Walnut Marketing Board
Walnuts replace the meat in these hearty, healthy, quick tacos. You can also use this mixture to make taco salads.
- 1 can (14-oz) regular or unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained (or 1-½ cups chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 2 cups diced zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (half of a 1.35-oz. packet )
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can (14-oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup frozen or canned corn kernels
- ¾ cup chopped California walnuts
- 6 taco shells or 6” flour or corn tortillas
- Heat tomatoes and zucchini in a wide skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered 3 minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons water, black beans and corn. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in walnuts. Let stand 1-2 minutes for sauce to thicken.
- Serve in taco shells or soft tortillas with choice of condiments like lettuce, cheese, sour cream, or avocado slices.
Rosemary Mark for the Walnut Marketing Board