Walnut Studded Herb Cheese Salad
Walnut Marketing Board
The cheese balls in this salad would make a fun appetizer all on their own. Try using red barlett pears to add more color to this amazing salad.
- ½ lb. fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp fresh minced shallots OR ½ tsp dried
- 1 Tbsp finely minced fresh chives OR ½ Tbsp dried
- ½ tsp finely minced fresh tarragon OR ¼ tsp dried
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ¼ cups finely chopped California walnuts
- 1 small head chicory or any bitter green
- 2 heads Belgian endive
- 2 Seckel, Bosc or Comice pears
- 1 bulb fresh fennel
- Combine cheese, parsley, shallots, chives and tarragon in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Form cheese into 8 round balls. Roll each ball in chopped walnuts. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Wash and dry the chicory. Trim endive and separate leaves.
- Cut pears into eighths and core.
- Trim fennel and cut crosswise into thin slices.
- Divide chicory onto 8 serving plates. Arrange endive and pear slices in a spiral pattern over chicory. Place fennel slices at center of spiral.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cheese balls on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Place on cheese ball on fennel slices on each plate. Serve with Apricot Walnut Dressing (find recipe under "related recipes"). Serves 8.