Walnut Herb Tabbouleh
Walnut Marketing Board
Tabbouleh is a popular Lebanese salad. The cracked wheat has a nutty flavor that is nicely complemented by the walnuts. Serve with grilled chicken or lamb and pita bread.
- ¾ cup cracked wheat (bulgur)
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¾ cup California walnut pieces, divided
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add cracked wheat, cover pan, and remove from heat. Let stand 30-45 minutes until softened. (Or follow package directions to make 2 ½ cups cooked cracked wheat.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Fluff cracked wheat with a fork and add to bowl. Stir in basil and mint. Let stand until cool.
- Finely chop ½ cup of the walnut pieces to the size of the cracked wheat grains. Add to cracked wheat with remaining ¼ cup walnut pieces and tomato. Adjust seasoning and add additional lemon juice if desired.
Rosemary Mark for the Walnut Marketing Board