Walnut Crunch Couscous
Walnut Marketing Board
Couscous is a type of small grain pasta that cooks very quickly and makes a great accompaniment to grilled meat or stew. Try this fragrant side dish with grilled chicken or lamb chops marinated in olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ cup lightly packed chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup lightly packed chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth or water
- 1 cup dry couscous
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and stir until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool. Toss with mint and cilantro.
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth or water to a boil. Add couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in walnut-herb mixture.
Rosemary Mark for the Walnut Marketing Board