Walnut Chicken Salad Sandwich
Walnut Marketing Board
Most chicken salads are loaded with mayonnaise; this one relies on a yogurt-based dressing to make it moist, flavorful and lower in calories. Use whole wheat pita bread if you can find it; it contains more fiber, and it's nutty flavor works well with the walnuts in the salad.
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh spinach OR 3 Tbsps finely chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- ⅔ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill or tarragon OR ½ tsp dried dill or tarragon
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups diced, cooked white meat chicken
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 cup chopped California walnuts
- Salt and pepper, if desired
- Several leaves iceberg or other crisp lettuce
- 4 pita breads, halved, if making sandwiches
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, yogurt, lemon juice, mustard, green onion, dill or tarragon and celery. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken, apple, and chopped walnuts, blend well, then season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Either serve the salad on a bed of lettuce leaves, or spoon about ½ cup of the salad into each pita half, tuck in a lettuce leave, and serve. Serves 4.