Trout Salad with Spiced Walnuts
Walnut Marketing Board
Got a fisherman in your family? The next time he brings home a few trout, try this recipe. Or, be adverturous and buy trout at your local supermarket after you've had the fish monger clean and butterfly the trout for you.
- 2 wild boneless trouts, butterflied, heads and tails removed
- ⅔ cup California walnut pieces
- 2 Tbsps mirin or other sweet cooking wine
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsps fennel seeds
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp five spice powder
- 1 Tbsp egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced into 3/8-inch thick slices, reserving 4 slices for garnish
- 1 large bulb fennel, very thinly sliced (about 1 ½ cup), plus a few feathery fronds for garnish
- 2 bunches watercress, tough stems removed
- Coat a nonstick skillet with canola cooking spray. Sauté trout over medium-high heat, skin side down, until just golden and slightly crisp, about 4 minutes. Turn once and cook an additional 4 minutes. Place trout skin side down in a shallow dish and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, lightly sauté shallots until just softened, but not browned. Combine shallots, orange juice, mirin and fennel seeds and pour over trout. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- While trout is marinating, preheat oven to 250°F. In a small bowl, combine walnuts with sugar, salt, five spice powder and egg white. Spread on a nonstick baking pan and bake until golden and most of the liquid is dried, stirring occasionally; about 45-60 minutes. Cool walnuts to room temperature. Break apart walnuts that may stick together.
- Remove trout from marinade. Remove and discard skin; separate to create 4 equal fillets. Set aside and allow to come to room temperature. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade for salad dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine orange slices, fennel, watercress and reserved marinade. Toss gently.
- Divide mixture among 4 plates, top each with a trout fillet and sprinkle walnuts overall. Garnish with reserved orange slices and fennel fronds.
- Serve immediately. Serves 4.