Tangy Roasted Beet & Walnut Salad
Walnut Marketing Board
The sweet rich flavor of roasted beets and the tangy addition of oranges is a wonderful way to highlight toasted California walnuts.
For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- 2 pounds beets
- 2 bunches watercress or arugula (about 4 cups)
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into sections
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ cup California walnut halves, toasted
- In medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place beets in 8-inch square baking dish. Bake in 375° oven about 1 hour, or until beets are tender (will depend on the size of the beets). Let cool. Peel and slice. Toss with 2 tablespoons of dressing.
- In large bowl, gently toss watercress, oranges, fennel and walnuts. Divide over 4 plates. Top with beets and drizzle with remaining dressing.