Sun-Dried Tomato & Walnut Potato Bites
Walnut Marketing Board
These potato bites were created with Spanish-style tapas in mind. Serve these with Spanish wine or beer.
- 12 small red-skinned boiling potatoes (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 15 sun-dried tomato halves (not oil-packed)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary OR 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup fat-free mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup chopped California walnuts
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a steamer rack in a large pan over boiling water. Cover the pan and steam until the potatoes are just tender when pierced, about 15-20 minutes, depending on size. Cool to room temperature.
- Cut each potato in half and, using a melon baller or a teaspoon, scoop out and discard 2 teaspoons of potato flesh. This impression will hold the filling later.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cover the tomato halves with boiling water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry. If necessary, cut away any tough edges or stems.
- Place the tomatoes in a food processor with the rosemary and garlic and process until coarsely chopped. Add the mayonnaise, cottage cheese and lemon juice and process until smooth. Add the walnuts and process until they are incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You will have about 1 ½ cups tomato mixture.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the tomato mixture into each potato half. Place on a serving platter and serve at room temperature.