Pasta with Winter Squash & Walnuts
Walnut Marketing Board
- 1 pound winter squash, such as buttercup, kabocha, or banana, peeled seeded and cubed
- 1 pound dried pasta, such as bowties or shells
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Salt and black or red pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Place the squash in a saucepan with a little water, cover, and steam until it is soft. Drain and mash the squash.
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet, add the garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the mashed squash, the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the drained pasta with the squash mixture and serve topped with the chopped walnuts and grated Parmesan cheese.
From the book Eating Well for Optimum Health by Andrew Weil, M.D. © 2000 by Andrew Weil, M.D. Published in arrangement with Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc.