Mini Cheese & Walnut Cabbage Rolls
Walnut Marketing Board
These cabbage rolls can be served as either an appetizer or an entrée. This recipe makes six appetizers or three entrée servings. Try using some smoked mozzarella in place of the part-skim mozzarella to give these rolls a slightly smoky flavor.
- 1 head green cabbage, about 2 pounds
- ⅔ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- 1 Italian plum tomato or small red tomato, chopped
- 2 ½ cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 ½ cups grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup chopped California walnuts
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. With a small sharp knife, remove and discard the white core from the center of the cabbage. Drop the whole cabbage in the boiling water and cook 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the cabbage from the water and let stand until cool enough to handle. Carefully peel away 12 of the outer leaves, keeping them as whole as possible, and set aside to be stuffed. Chop enough of the remaining cabbage to make 1 ½ cups and place in a large bowl. (What’s left of the whole cabbage will be used later.)
- To the chopped cabbage add the broth, raisins, tomato, bread crumbs, cheese, walnuts, egg white and rosemary. Stir vigorously to combine, then season the mixture with salt and pepper. You will have about 3 cups of stuffing.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Get out a 9-inch square baking dish, or other sizable dish that will hold the cabbage rolls snugly. Lay the whole cabbage leaves on your work surface. Place about ¼ cup of the stuffing near the base of each leaf. Fold in the sides to cover the filling, then roll each leaf up like a carpet, to make a neat sausage-shaped package. Place the rolls, seam-side down and close together, in the baking dish. Separate the leaves on what remains of the whole cabbage and lay them, overlapping, on top of the rolls.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Cool about 10 minutes, then remove and discard the leaves from the top. Serve the cabbage rolls warm or at room temperature.