Marion Cunningham's Caramel Covered Walnut Stuffed Date Rolls
Walnut Marketing Board
"This is one of my favorite recipes. Each date is stuff with a walnut half (or bits of walnut), dipped into the batter, baked and then frosted. When you start making them they look messy, but by the time you're through glazing them they look so scrumptious. They are so good that I started making them as gifts for people. I would send my editor at Knopf a batch of these every holiday season. Now, if I send them a little late, she calls me to make sure they didn't get lost in the mail!"
- 60 pitted dates
- 60 California walnut halves (or about 1 ½ cups large California walnut pieces)
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Caramel Butter Glaze
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and get out several cookie sheets.
- Stuff each date with a walnut half, or 2 to 3 walnut pieces, and set aside.
- Beat the butter, then slowly add the sugar, continuing to beat until smoothly blended.
- Add the egg and beat well, then stir in the sour cream.
- Stir and toss together the flour, salt, baking power and baking soda.
- Add to the first mixture and beat just until smooth and blended.
- This is the sticky part, but it's worth it....With your fingers, dip each stuffed date into the batter and place on the ungreased cookie sheets, leaving about 1-inch between cookies. The batter will not form a smooth coating over the date; it will look patchy.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and transfer to racks.
- While the first batch bakes, prepare the glaze so you can spoon it over the cookies while they are still hot. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and continue to cook, swirling the pan by the handle, until the butter is lightly browned.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and enough water to make a runny glaze. Continue to stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over the cookies with a teaspoon, or apply with a brush.
YIELD: 60 date rolls