Lentil Soup with Kale & Walnuts
Walnut Marketing Board
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- ½ medium onion (about ½ cup), diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cans (15-oz. each) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large potato (8 oz.), peeled, cut in ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- ¾ cup Herb Cheese Walnuts or ½ cup Walnut Gremolata
- Heat oil in a medium stock pot. Add celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, potato and lentils. Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until potatoes and lentils are tender.
- With a spoon or potato masher, press potatoes and lentils to make a slightly thickened soup. Stir in kale or spinach and cook 5-10 minutes until tender. Top with walnuts just before serving.
Rosemary Mark for the Walnut Marketing Board