Walnut Marketing Board
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen black-eye peas
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup (2 ounce) chopped California walnuts
- pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the black-eye peas and rice and return to a boil. Stir thoroughly, then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Set aside off heat for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Add the bell pepper and walnuts, then stir and toss the mixture with a fork to combine the ingredients and fluff the rice. Season with pepper to taste.