Golden Quinoa Salad with Mango and Walnuts
Walnut Marketing Board
Makes 4 servings
Nutritionally, quinoa might be considered a supergrain for its excellent reserves of protein and iron, high levels of potssium and riboflavin, as well as other B vitamins: B6, niacin, and thiamine. Combine the power of quinoa with the wonder of walnuts and the creamy taste of curry for a nutrient packed lunch.
- ⅓ cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 ripe mangoes, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1. In medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, ginger, curry, salt, pepper and oil. Set aside.
- Add quinoa to a large saucepan of boiling salted water. Cook 10 minutes. Pour quinoa into a fine strainer, reserving cooking liquid. Return cooking liquid to pan and place quinoa, in strainer, over cooking liquid. Cover with lid or foil and continue to steam about 10 minutes more of until quinoa is tender. Let cool.
- In bowl, combine quinoa and dressing until well combined.
- Gently stir in mango, red pepper, greem onion, chilies, mint and walnuts.
- Makes 4 servings