Ellie Krieger's Walnut Energy Bars
Walnut Marketing Board
These soft and chewy energy bars are a wonderful, nutrient-dense snack. Registered dietitian and celebrity food star Ellie Krieger created these as an alternative to store bought bars that often lack great flavor and may be packed with excess calories, fat and sugar. Pack a few in your backpack, purse or briefcase, and you'll be ready for whatever the day throws at you!
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- ½ cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup toasted wheat germ
- ¼ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup dried apricots
- ½ cup raw California walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup pitted dried dates
- ½ cup powdered nonfat dry milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients except the syrup and eggs in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
- Add the syrup and eggs and pulse until the mixture is well combined. It will resemble a coarse paste.
- Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until just done, about 20 minutes.
- Cut into 20 squares. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
(c) 2007, Ellie Krieger, Used with Permission