Ellie Krieger's Green Bean Salad with Walnuts
Walnut Marketing Board
Quick, easy, delicous, healthy food. That's what registered dietitian and celebrity food star Ellie Krieger strives to offer her family, her clients, and her television audience. Here's an exmaple of a side dish Ellie created that makes a side of green beans a special treat.
- ½ pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water with a steamer basket to a boil, add green beans and steam for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Toast the walnuts in a small dry skillet over a medium heat until they become fragrant, about 2 minutes, and then transfer them to a small bowl. Add the parsley and onion to the walnuts and stir to combine.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard.
- Toss the dressing with the green beans, top with the walnut mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
(c) 2007, Ellie Krieger, Used with Permission