Cucumber Waldorf Salad in Pita Pockets
Walnut Marketing Board
- 1 large cucumber
- ⅓ cup finely diced fat-free Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup fat-free mayonnaise
- ¼ cup nonfat yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 firm, ripe pear, halved, cored and diced
- ¼ cup raisins or currents
- Salt and pepper to taste, if desired
- 4 crisp lettuce leaves
- 2 pita breads, halved to make 4 half moons
- Peel the cucumber if the skin is tough. Halve it length-wise, scrape out the seeds, then cut crosswise into very thin slices, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the cheese, mayonnaise, walnuts and lemon juice. Add the cucumber along with the pear and raisins and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper taste, if desired.
- Tuck a lettuce leaf into each pita pocket, then divide the salad among the pockets, placing about ½ cup in each.