Chocolate Walnut Gelato
Walnut Marketing Board
Perfect for any summer party, this light dessert will leave you feeling both refreshed and satisfied. The not-too-sweet chocolate flavor with a hint of orange zest and crunch of California Walnuts is a frozen treat that is sure to be a favorite for grown-up tastes.
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup Dutch processed, unsweetened cocoa powder
3 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup California walnuts, finely chopped, toasted
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water, sugar and cocoa powder to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved and cocoa is well blended, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted. Let cool completely.
- Stir in orange zest and walnuts.
- Cover and refrigerate until completely cold, about 4 hours.
- Spoon chilled chocolate into shallow metal pan; freeze until almost firm, about 3 hours.
- Break into chunks; purée in food processor. Pack into airtight container and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Alternatively, transfer chilled mixture to ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer’s instructions.
California Walnut Commission in Canada