Apple Walnut Granita
Walnut Marketing Board
Try somethig different for dessert! Pair this cool, refreshing medley of fruit, citrus and spice with your favorite cheese.
1 cup water
½ cup granulated sugar
2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon
1 cup Muscat wine
1 cup California Walnuts finely chopped, toasted
½ teaspoon ground ginger
- In a small saucepan, over medium high heat, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk together applesauce, lemon juice, wine, cooled syrup, California Walnuts and ginger. Refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
- Spoon mixture into a shallow plastic container (metal will cause mixture to turn grey); freeze until almost firm, about 2 hours.
- Break into chunks and transfer to airtight container and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Transfer to refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.