Chocolate Plum Walnut Torte
From: Walnut Marketing Board
- ¾ cup dried plums (4 ounces)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup boiling water
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup chopped California walnuts, divided
- ¾ cup California walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly coat an 8-inch round spring-form pan with cooking spray. Place a glass baking dish (any size) half-filled with water on the lower rack of your oven.
- In a small bowl, combine plums, chocolate and water. Let stand 5 minutes until plums soften and chocolate melts. Stir.
- In a food processor, combine plum mixture, flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar and salt. Whirl until nearly smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand whisk or mixer to beat eggs and granulated sugar until thick and foamy. Stir in half the plum mixture. With a spatula, gently fold in remaining plum mixture and ½ cup chopped walnuts. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared pan.
- Arrange walnut halves evenly around edge. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup chopped walnuts in center. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the center feels set when gently touched. Cool completely before slicing. Serve room temperature or chilled.