Walnut Cheddar Scones
- 11 ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Diamond of California chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 green onion tops sliced
- 1 - 11/4 cups cold half & half, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Combine the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, the sugar and salt in a medium bowl using a whisk. Work the butter into the dry mixture using a bowl scraper or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal; using your fingers will create a more cake-like texture.
3. Add the cheese, walnuts and green onions. Toss to coast with flour. Make a well in the center and pour in 1 cup half and half. Stir until the ingredients are just combined. If you notice it looks dry add another 1-2 tablespoons half and half.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 5 or 6 times. Roll the dough- You can also make rectangle scones by pressing the dough into an 9×6 rectangle and about 1 1/2 inches thick.
5. Cut in half lengthwise. Divide each half into thirds and each third in half to create 12 triangle pieces. You can also roll into a disc shape and cut like a pie. (They will be a little less uniform but still cute!)
6. Place the scones on a baking sheet . Combine the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon half and half. Brush the tops of the scones and
7. Bake until golden brown, about 16- 22 minutes.