Red Velvet Pecan Brownies
- 30 minutes
- 16 ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Diamond of California® Chopped Pecans, toasted & divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Stir in 1/4 cup of pecans.
2. Stir the buttermilk, food coloring, and vanilla until well mixed in a 2-cup measuring cup or small bowl.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter until very light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Mix the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients into the batter, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, just until combined.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan; smooth top. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the pecans over the surface of the batter. Bake until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool the cake completely in pan on rack.
5. For Frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl until smooth Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffly. Spread the frosting over the cake and sprinkle with the remaining pecans. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover the cake tightly with plastic wrap and keep at cool room temperature.)