Creamy Butternut Squash and Walnut Bucatini
- 1 hour
- 11 ingredients
- Update Ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 lb. bucatini pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 10 leaves fresh sage
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Diamond of California® Walnut Halves
- salt and pepper
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Slice a butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with two tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes.
2. While the squash bakes, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, drop in bucatini. Cook according to package instructions, then drain.
3. Add the remaining olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Cook the shallots for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sage, cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
4. Scoop the cooked squash out of the shell and place in a food processor, reserving about 1/2 cup of squash.
5. Add the cooked shallots, garlic, sage, heavy cream and vegetable stock to the food processor. Pulse until very smooth. Pour into a large bowl, set aside.
6. Chop the reserved squash and add it to the skillet with the kale. Cook over medium heat until kale is wilted.
7. Add the squash, kale, bucatini and walnuts to the bowl with the pureed squash mixture. Toss gently and season to taste before serving.