Brown Butter Walnut Ice Cream with Black Pepper & Blackberries
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 11 ingredients
- Update Ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California® Walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 pint blackberries
1. In a sauté pan on medium-high heat add butter, walnuts, salt and black pepper. Cook until the butter begins to turn walnut brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. In a bowl whisk together egg yolks, brown sugar and corn syrup until all ingredients are well combined and mixture forms ribbons in the bowl. While whisking the ingredients together, lift the whisk into the air with some of the mixture still on it, the mixture will fall back into the bowl in ribbons, which slowly disappear back into
the mixture. Set aside.
3. Place the milk and heavy cream in a medium sized saucepan. On high, scald the milk (stirring constantly to avoid burning). As soon as the milk comes to a rapid boil remove from heat. Whisk the milk into the egg yolk mixture adding it VERY SLOWLY to temper the eggs (if the hot milk is added too quickly, the eggs will cook and harden).
4. Once all the milk is added to the eggs, place the mixture back into the saucepan. On medium-low heat whisk constantly until the mixture becomes slightly thickened. Remove from heat and place the contents into the refrigerator and allow to cool for 1 hour.
5. After the mixture has cooled. Add the combined ingredients into an ice cream machine with the maple syrup and pepper. Follow your ice cream maker’s instructions and serve with blackberries on top.