BBQ Mac & Cheese Casserole
- 15 mins, total time 40 minutes
- 11 ingredients
- Nut coatings
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- 16 oz pasta (traditional or gluten free. I like cavatakki, elbow or shell shape)
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter (traditional or plant based)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (or gluten free AP blend)
- 3 cups whole milk or unflavored oat milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or oat milk
- 3/4 - 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 3 cups sharp cheddar style cheese shredded (traditional or plant based)
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack style cheese, divided (traditional or plant based)
- 1 cup Diamond of California Original Nut Coatings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree. Spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish and set aside.
2. Cook the pasta according to the package. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile in a large sauce pot or Dutch oven melt the butter and add flour over medium heat. Stir to combine and cook 1-2 minutes to remove the raw flour flavor.
4. Whisk in the milk and cream. Stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Lower heat to medium low. Bring to a simmer to allow the liquid to thicken until it coats the back of a spoon, about 4-6 minutes.
5. Add in the cheddar and 1/2 of the Monterey Jack. Stir until the cheese is melted.
6. Add the BBQ sauce stir and then fold in the cooked noodles. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
7. Pour the noodle mixture into the prepared pan and top with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
8. In a small bowl combine the @diamondnuts nut coating with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
9. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Enjoy!