Best Banana Nut Bread
- 30 minutes
- 12 ingredients
- Walnuts, Pecans
- loaf, about 12 serving
- Update Ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- 1 1/4 cups Diamond of California® Walnuts or Pecans
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour or 1 cup all purpose and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 or 4 bananas)
- 1/3 cup grape seed oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Variation: Spiced Banana Nut Bread
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Variation: Ginger-Banana Nut Bread
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1. Position rack in center of the oven and preheat to 350F°. Spread nuts in a single layer on a heavy small baking sheet or shallow pan. Toast the nuts in the oven until just golden brown and fragrant, stirring once, about 7-10 minutes for walnuts and 5-7 minutes for pecans. (If nuts are already chopped reduce bake time by 2-3 minutes and watch closely.) Cool and coarsely chop. Maintain oven temperature.
2. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Dust the loaf pan lightly with flour, tapping out excess. Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt to blend in a large bowl. Stir in 1 cup nuts.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a medium bowl to blend. Mix in the bananas, oil and buttermilk.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup nuts over the batter. Bake until a tester inserted in center of the loaf comes out clean, about, 1 hour. (Cover bread loosely with foil the last 10-15 minutes if top is very brown.)
5. Cool the bread in pan on rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the bread to loosen. Turn the bread out onto the rack and cool completely.