Toasted Walnut, Kale and Quinoa Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- 20 minutes
- 12 ingredients
- Update Ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- 1 cup Diamond of California® walnuts
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons olive or walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups (about 3 ounces) lightly packed baby kale leaves or thinly sliced kale
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 ounces feta cheese, optional
1. To toast walnuts, preheat oven to 350F°. Spread walnuts on a baking sheet or in a shallow pan. Bake stirring once or twice until lightly browned and fragrant, 7-10 minutes. Coarsely chop. (If walnuts are already chopped, reduce bake time to 5-7 minutes and watch closely.)
2. Cook quinoa as package directs. Fluff and transfer to a plate to cool.
3. In a large salad bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, mustard, thyme, garlic and salt. Let stand at room temperature at least 10 minutes for garlic to infuse flavor.
4. Remove garlic clove. Add kale, quinoa, walnuts and cranberries to salad bowl; toss to evenly coat with dressing. Serve topped with feta cheese if desired.