- 25 minutes
- 18 ingredients
- Update Ingredients
Note: Steps are for original recipe. Actual cooking times may need to be adjusted for updated quantities.
- Walnut Pesto
- 1/2 cup Diamond walnuts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups packed arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. long fusilli
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 - 8 ounces packaged sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated (plus more for garnish)
- juice from 2 lemons (about 1 ⁄ 3 cup)
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
In a food processor, combine the walnuts, garlic, arugula, basil, lemon zest and juice, Parmesan, salt, and pepper and pulse to blend. With the machine running, pour in the olive oil in a steady stream and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender, stirring occasionally about 11 minutes or according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
In the meantime, heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and add the olive oil before stirring in the sliced onion. Season with salt and pepper and stir frequently until the onions begin to brown or caramelize. About 10 minutes.
In the same pan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and add the mushrooms. Stir occasionally, until tender and brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the drained pasta to the pan, along with the walnut pesto, Parmesan, lemon juice, and reserved cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with roasted red peppers, additional lemon zest, and Parmesan, if desired.