- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Pie filling:
- 1 1/2 cups Diamond of California® Pecans, halved or chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 oz high-quality milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a food processor, combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt until blended. Add the butter and shortening and combine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 seconds. Add the egg and water and process until the dough forms a ball (just a couple of seconds).
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll out to fit into a 9-inch tart pan. Once rolled, place into a prepared tart pan, pressing up the sides of the pan.
- Bake in a 350°F preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside until needed.
- Lower oven to 350°F. Spread pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast 8-10 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth; cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cooled chocolate-butter mixture, corn syrup, eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, whiskey, and salt. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Arrange pecans over filling.
- Place the pie pan on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the filling is just set when the pan is jiggled (30 minutes). Cool completely and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
RECIPE CONTRIBUTED BY DINE AND DISH