Dawn's Chile Honey Almond Fried Chicken
Recipe Challenge Winners
A Runner-Up in the 2009 Diamond Recipe Challenge.
24 chicken wings (about 4 pounds)
2 cups buttermilk Smoked Jalapeno Seasoning
divided Chile Honey Glaze
¾ cup cornstarch
1 cup roasted almonds, coarsely ground
1 cup Japanese panko bread crumbs
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
About 6 cups peanut oil, for frying Sliced Diamond almonds, roasted (for garnish)
- Special equipment: candy or frying thermometer
1.Cut wing tips off chicken wings and discard. Halve chicken wings at joint. Place the wings in a large shallow dish, add buttermilk, and turn to coat. Cover, and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Prepare Smoked Jalapeno Seasoning and Chile Honey Glaze.
3. In a large shallow baking dish or bowl, stir together cornstarch with 2 ½ tablespoons of Smoked Jalapeno Seasoning.
4. In a separate large shallow baking dish or bowl, stir together almonds, panko, and remaining Smoked Jalapeno Seasoning.
5. Place the eggs in a medium bowl.
6. Heat oil in a 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat until temperature reaches 350°F on a candy or frying thermometer.
7. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Drain the chicken wings and pat dry. Fry chicken wings in small batches until crisp and golden, about 7 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer wings to paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
8. Place chicken wings, a few at a time, in cornstarch mixture and turn to coat. Dip each chicken wing into the eggs, then coat lightly with the almond mixture, pressing to adhere crumbs.
9. Line baking sheet with clean paper towels. Fry the wings in small batches until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer wings to paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
10. Arrange wings on a serving platter and sprinkle with the roasted almonds. Serve at once with Chili Honey Glaze.