Savory Walnut Corn Cakes
Walnut Marketing Board
- 1-½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ½ cup low-cholesterol egg substitute
- ⅓ cup nonfat yogurt
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped California walnuts
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- No-stick cooking spray
- Salsa and fat-free sour cream, if desired
- Set aside ½ cup of the corn kernels. In a food processor or blender, combine the remaining 1 cup corn kernels with the egg substitute, yogurt, flour, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Process for 30-60 seconds, until the batter is blended and smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the container. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and stir in the reserved corn.
- Spray a large skillet, preferably nonstick, with no-stick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- When the skillet is hot (the batter should sizzle quietly as it hits the pan), make corncakes, cooking them just like pancakes and using about ¼ cup of batter per cake.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on the first side, until tiny bubbles appear around the edges, then turn carefully and cook about 2 minutes on the other side, until golden. If necessary, spray the skillet with additional no-stick cooking spray for cooking the next batch.
- Accompany the corncakes with salsa and fat-free sour cream, if desired.