Pumpkin Walnut Bran Muffins
Walnut Marketing Board
This recipe creates dense, moist muffins. The optional toppings provide fun ways to dress up these muffins for special occasions.
- 2 ½ cups raisin bran flake cereal
- ½ can (15 oz.) pumpkin (about ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped California Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together cereal, pumpkin, milk, eggs and oil.
- In a medium bowl, stir flour, brown sugar, baking powder and spices until well combined. Stir flour mixture and walnuts into pumpkin mixture.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups. If desired, add cheese filling and walnut crunch as directed below. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted through side of muffin top comes out clean.
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients. Place a heaping teaspoon of filling on top of muffin batter before baking. Top with Walnut Crunch, if desired.
- Walnut Crunch Muffins
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 ½ teaspoons butter
- Combine all ingredients. Sprinkle on top of muffin batter before baking.
Rosemary Mark for the Walnut Marketing Board