Mocha Walnut Clusters
Walnut Marketing Board
These are intensely flavored cookies best served with coffee.
- ⅓ cup (2 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups California walnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped California walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Prepare the cookies: In microwave-safe mixing bowl, heat chocolate and canola oil on high for 40-60 seconds. Stir until chocolate is melted, reheating if needed. Stir in sugar, ground coffee, egg, milk and vanilla.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; stir until thoroughly combined. Add walnut pieces.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased or parchment lined baking sheets and press gently with the palm of your hand to flatten. Bake 10-12 minutes until edges feel set when touched. Cookies should be moist in center. Cool on pan 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the glaze: Combine powdered sugar and coffee. Stir to make a thick glaze.
- Glaze and garnish the cookies: Set rack with cookies over a sheet of wax paper. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of glaze over each cookie and top with ½ teaspoon walnuts before glaze sets.
Rosemary Mark for the Walnut Marketing Board