Charlie Palmer's Walnut, Black Pepper and Cumin Crusted Monkfish
Walnut Marketing Board
A coating of walnuts, pepper, cumin and salt give flavor and nutty texture to monkfish first course.
- 1 cup California walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 tbsps black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 tsp ground cumin, toasted
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 6 steaks, about 6 oz. each, monkfish steaks
- 3 tbsps canola oil
- Finely diced chanterelles or other wild mushrooms.
- Place walnuts, pepper, cumin, and salt in food processor and process, using on/off pulses until mixture looks powdery but not damp. Transfer to a shallow pan.
- Place pieces of fish in nut mixture, turning to coat evenly. Gently press mixture into fish. Set aside.
- Film oven-proof skillet with oil and place over medium high heat. When very hot, add a piece of fish and sear about 2 minutes per side, until brown and crusty outside.
- Transfer to a preheated 450F oven for about 5 minutes, until fish is firm but not overcooked.
- Serve immediately on a bed of sautéed mushrooms.