Charlie Palmer's Three Bean Salad
Walnut Marketing Board
Flageolets, black beans and haricot vert with savory seasoning and toasted walnut pesto make enticing lettuce wrap finger foods.
- ½ cup basil leaves, fresh, tightly packed
- ½ cup parsley sprigs, flat leaf, tightly packed
- 2 tsp sage, fresh, chopped
- ½ cup California walnut pieces, toasted
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp orange juice, fresh
- ½ cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 ½ cups flageolets, or navy beans, cooked and drained (or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 ½ cups black beans, cooked and drained (or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 ½ cups haricot verts, or green beans, blanched and drained
- 24 Romaine lettuce leaves, small, whole
- 24 California walnut halves, toasted
- Small sprigs basil, parsley or sage (optional, as needed)
- Black pepper, freshly ground as needed
- Coarse salt as needed
- To make walnut pesto, place basil, parsley, sage, walnuts, cheese and garlic in food processor and process until finely ground. Add juice, then with motor running, slowly add oil and process until mixture is thick and emulsified. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Toss flageolets, black beans and haricots vert together in large bowl. Add pesto and toss to combine and coat evenly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons bean mixture into each of 4 lettuce leaves. Top each with a walnut half and, if desired, garnish with an herb sprig.
- Serves 6.
Chef Charlie Palmer for WMB - small plates brochure