California Walnut and Sausage Stuffing
Walnut Marketing Board
This stuffing features a combination of mild Italian sausage, tart apples, chunky pieces of Italian bread, walnuts and fresh herbs. You can prepare the stuffing up to one day in advance and then heat it up before serving.
8 cups cubed Italian bread
1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped fresh fennel, bulb only
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chopped apples, (Gala, Golden Delicious or McIntosh)
½ cup dry white wine
2 cups chopped California walnuts, toasted
2 tablespoons fresh chopped sage
2 tablespoons fresh chopped savoury
¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
1 ½ cups chicken stock
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 350°F oven until cubes are lightly golden and toasted, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large, deep skillet, brown sausage over medium high heat, breaking into small pieces until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; add onions, fennel, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are tender, but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add apples and wine, stirring until most of the liquid had been absorbed.
- Stir in bread, sausage, walnuts, sage, savoury and parsley. Add chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Transfer stuffing to an oiled baking dish, cover with foil and bake in 350°F oven until warmed throughout, about 30 minutes.
TIP: For a crispy topping, remove foil during last 10 minutes.
California Walnut Commission in Canada