California Gazpacho with Walnuts
Walnut Marketing Board
This chunky, chilled tomato-based soup is a wonderful accompaniment to grilled cheese sandwiches or panini sandwiches.
1 ½ lbs. (about 5) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 small red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small red onion, finely chopped
¼ cup white vinegar
1 ½ cups tomato juice
1 ½ slices white bread, torn in pieces
Salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
4 low-fat flour tortillas (for serving)
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic, onion, vinegar, tomato juice and bread.
- Process the soup in batches in a food processor or blender just until it is coarsely puréed--it should not be too smooth.
- Return the soup to the large bowl, cover, and chill thoroughly. Before serving, if the soup seems too thick, stir in some tomato juice.
- Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste, if desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with Walnuts and tortilla. Serves 4.