Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts and Arugula
Walnut Marketing Board
Try serving this colorful, flavor rich salad with your next turkey dinner.
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 cups apple juice
1 cup water
1 ½ cups cubed butternut squash or pumpkin
1 cup young tender arugula (rocket) leaves
½ cup chopped California walnuts, toasted
½ cup fat-free salad dressing
- In a saucepan, compbine the Brussels sprouts, apple juice and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook just until the sprouts are tender yet firm when pierced at the base, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Cut pumpkin flesh or butternut squash into cubes and roast in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Put aside in a bowl.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts lengthwise into thin slices. Add the slices to the pumpkin cubes or butternut squash and mix them gently together with fat-free dressing.
- Divide the arugula among individual plates. Spoon the vegetables over the arugula and garnish with the chopped walnuts.
- Serve while still warm. Serves 4.