Banana Walnut Butterscotch Bars
Walnut Marketing Board
For the Crust
½ cup chopped California Walnuts
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup (½ stick) cold butter, cut into pieces
For the Filling
2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup chopped California Walnuts
For the Topping
2 firm-ripe large bananas
1 cup freshly whipped cream (start with ½ cup whipping cream)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch sqaure tart pan with removable rim with cooking spray.
- Combine walnuts, both flours and granulated sugar in food processor. Whirl until walnuts are finely ground. Add butter and pulse until evenly mixed. Firmly pat mixture into tart pan. With a fork, prick bottom in several places to prevent puffing. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in microwave in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Stir in brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Add walnuts.
- Pour walnut mixture over baked crust. Return to oven and bake additional 20-25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool completely.
- Finish by slicing bananas ¼-inch thick and arranging in an even layer on top of tart. Spread whipped cream over bananas. Refrigerate until serving or up to 24 hours. Cut into 9 pieces and serve.
Rosemary Mark for the Walnut Marketing Board