Curry Pumpkin Walnut Soup
From: Walnut Marketing Board
- 1 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper 1
- tablespoon mild curry paste
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth 2
- 8 oz. can of pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup finely chopped, toasted California Walnuts
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons toasted California Walnuts, for garnish
- 4 sprigs fresh herbs (sage, parsley, thyme), for garnish
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, salt and pepper and cook, without browning, until onions are tender and translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry paste and cook one minute more.
- Stir in broth and bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add pumpkin and milk and simmer for about 10 minutes. Do not bring back to boil or soup will separate!
- Stir in finely chopped walnuts and heat a few minutes longer. (NOTE: Soup can be pureed in small batches in a blender or left chunky.)
- Serve in warmed bowls, garnished with a dollop of plain yogurt, a sprig of fresh herbs and toasted walnut pieces.